A corset is a piece of garment mostly worn to shape and, train your body or your waist to get the desired shape. Usually, the primary intention of wearing a corset is simply to get a smaller waist and larger bottom. These can be worn for many reasons mostly, for fashion or medical purposes. Primarily these were worn by women, but nowadays the men are also investing in wearing them.
The basics of a corset
Corsets these days have developed and, are available in different shapes, colors, fit as well as pattern. Apart from that, these can be overbust, underbust, with less and, more amount of curves, steel and plastic boning corsets that are worn either under or over the clothes. Additionally, these can be worn either alone or, with any other outfit. Also, they can have different styles like zip-up, lace-ups, eye closures and, with a hook as well.
More intricate designs of the corsets can also include stylish beads as well as frills so that it can accentuate and enhance few parts and suppress different parts of the body.
Materials of a corset
Corsets these days are available in different kinds of fabrics according to your needs so that you can comfortably team them up with any dress you want. Some of the popular corset materials are.
- Satin- The corsets made of satin are mostly worn under the clothes in case you want that perfect hourglass figure and, don't want your corsets to show.
- Cotton- These kinds of corsets are extremely comfortable and, light to wear, extremely durable. But, it is important to keep in mind that, the cotton corsets are not for wearing underneath your clothes as these are a bit thicker.
- Brocade- The corsets made of brocade are extremely thick and durable and, are mostly made of polyester blend. Brocade corset is mostly worn as a style accessory.
- Leather- The leather corsets are superbly comfortable to wear over clothing and, look stunning. These are not advisable to use it as waist training since it tends to stretch.
Mesh Corset- A perfect breathable and, light corset, a great option for the summers. It gives a perfect shape to your body and can be worn both over and under the clothes.
Use of corset for fashion
The corsets are most commonly used for slimming down the body and, give it a perfect and, fashionable silhouette. Women these days are in the trend of achieving the curvy figure by reducing the waistline and, overstating the bust as well as the hip area. Although, in many cases, these are also used to get tubular straight up down figure that, involves the reducing of the hip and bust area. While for women, corsets are used for that hourglass figure, men use them only to achieve a perfect slim figure.
There are various types of corsets available in the market and, before purchasing any of them it is important to know about the different types of corsets and, how they will look on different body shapes. For example, an underbust corset begins rights from below the bust line, waist training corset are shorter in size and, only focuses on slimming down the bust line, and overbust corset covers the torso and begins right under the arms and covers till the hip area.
Ideally, a corset helps in supporting the dress and, also helps in cinching the waist to enhance those stunning curves of your body. Originally the corset covers were worn under the corsets to maintain a layer between the corsets and body.
Use of corsets for medical purposes
A corset, especially the steel boning corset has many medical uses and, can be used to maintain body posture and, heal the past internal injuries, develop the body morphology and much. Listed below are some of the major uses as well as benefits of using corsets for medical purposes.
- Proper use of a waist training corset can help in controlling back pain as maintaining the posture of the body. In case you are having any past injuries like vertebral fractures or slipped discs or if you have osteoarthritis or any other internal injuries and, diseases then these can help in improving those injuries.
- In case you have a problem in your spinal cord, then, the corsets can help you in improving the back pain as well as muscle tension.
- Maintaining posture is also important to avoid any kind of skeletal issues and, wearing of the waist train and, other normal corsets can help in improving the skeletal issues thus, improving the posture of your body.
- Headaches and migraines are a severe problem and, it has been noticed that wearing of the corsets can help in reducing the issues since proper posture can reduce tension from shoulders and neck.
- Wearing of the corsets can help in reducing the problems of concealing asymmetries and, help you from any injuries related to skeletal asymmetries as well as muscular asymmetries.
- The corset steel boned act as lumbar support to avoid the lumbar injuries during heavy workout sessions like heavy lifting, continuously sitting in front of the computer, all these can affect your lumbar. Wearing corsets can help in supporting lumbar thus, preventing such problems.
- Women who suffer from severe menstrual cramps can wear corsets. During the menstrual cycle, women get temporary relief by simply lying in the fetal position. This put pressure on the peritoneal organs that reduces the uterine contractions. Corsets help in giving this support by exerting pressure on the same organs and in the same way.
Types of corsets
Modern days corsets have been modified as a perfect way of slimming waist and, enhancing the hips and, bust to get that stunning hourglass figure. Unlike the past, women these days simply love the confidence that the corsets provide them. Initially, it might feel uncomfortable, but with regular usage, it can help you in providing correct posture and enhance your self-esteem.
Not only that, with proper usage of these, you can get your waist trained to get permanent results over time. The corsets have now become so popular that it is used by a lot of celebrities on wedding, proms as well as on red carpets and many formal events. These come in a lot of designs and features details like beads, rhinestones, studs chains as well as spikes.
Choosing corset according to body type
As you know that the corsets are perfect for every occasion, then it is important to recognize the corset body shapes according to your body shapes. Corsets are available for all body shapes and, size and some of the popular corsets are a full bust corset, small bust corset, long torso, wide hips, short torso and lots more. Therefore, it is important to find out which kind of corset will suit your body type. Listed below are some of the tips which you should consider before buying a corset for yourself.
- If you have large bust area then, you might find an overbust corset and overbust waist trained corsets perfect rather than a bra. The overbust corsets help in supporting your breasts from the waist up and, also evenly distributes the weight and, relieves from the pain of bra straps sticking on to your shoulders.
- Women with small bustline then try a corset flat front style. These types of corsets give the perfect illusion of multiple cup sizes as per the size of your breasts. In case you love wearing corsets but, the bust of it is loose, then, you can easily pad the bust area to give proper support.
- Having smaller hips can give you a huge advantage as you can wear the sharp hip spring and, it literally can make a huge difference. The corsets that grips under the rib and, not your waist will provide that wasp waist effect.
- Most of the low-end corsets are not that curvacious when compared to a curvy figure. These corsets are perfect for those women having perfectly hourglass figure.
- If you want to train waist, then, invest in a good quality waist trainer as it can help in giving you that perfect curvy waist.
Tips for wearing corsets
- Layer- These are mostly worn along with a camisole underneath. A camisole is an undershirt which is worn to soak perspiration and, keep the corset clean.
- Lacing- It is mostly done by fastening the front bust and, lace up the back. The corset is then, laced up at the middle to give proper shape as well as support.
- Selection- Choosing a correct type of corset is extremely essential as it will help in slimming down your waist and, support your bust. Before choosing a corset it is important to consider a few factors like the type of your figure, occasion as well as personal style.
- Care- You cannot randomly throw the corsets for washing and, then dry it. Make sure that you wash it such a way that, it lasts properly. It is important to know about all the details of washing a corset.
Therefore, these are some of the most important things which are necessary to consider before investing in a corset.